Wednesday, July 15, 2009

.pillow talk.

7.13.09

I did not sleep last night!!!! We traveled on an overnight train from Venice to Paris. At first I thought, “this will be fun!” Everyone kept referring to it as a Harry Potter train. Our seats turned in to beds, three stacked on each side of the car.

When it came time to set up the beds, we realized that the bottom bunk would be the tightest space. I thought that I would volunteer to take the bottom because I don’t usually have a problem feeling claustrophobic so I didn’t think it would be a big deal. Little did I realize that the seat did not lay flat. So, here I am, in very little space, lying on a slanted bench. When we raised the bed above me, it left a 5 inch space that unfortunately, due to the slant, I kept slipping into. Not cool! I tossed and turned all night because either my circulation would get cut off while lying on my side on the slant, or I had to keep myself from falling into the hole next to me!!!! Urgh! I hated it! Come to find out, supposedly there was a way to make the bench lay flat. . . we are not going to think about that though because it only makes me more frustrated! No sleep and feeling exhausted, walking all around a new city was not a good combination. At least we were able to see the Eiffel Tower today!!!

We didn’t do a whole lot today because we needed to do some laundry, which was an experience of its own. But, we got it done, that’s what is important. The Laundromat was next to a bar. These French men barked at Allie and I. I have never been barked at!! We were at the Laundromat for a couple hours as these men got wasted. They have nothing better to do than to drink the day away and bark at American girls that pass by. It was pathetic.

The only thing that made me feel better about my day was the boat tour that we went on tonight. It was so much fun to see the city lit up and the Eiffel Tower was amazing! Absolutely beautiful! I can’t believe I am actually here!

Side note: Paris has a stench to it. . . .um, urine, everywhere! All along the streets and even in the metro stations, you can smell it. Supposedly, the people just find a lovely place along the streets to take care of their business. It is disgusting. I feel like I am in a giant porta potty. Not a lovely scent to remember Paris. I’ll just have to look beyond it and enjoy the rest of the city! It is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment