Sunday, July 19, 2009

7.18.09

After a late night last night, I was fortunate to be able to sleep in!!! I slept until 9:15, just in time to catch breakfast. We had some free time this morning so I took advantage to try to catch up on some sleep and get some things done. Allie and I made it a point to go to H&M to find some new inexpensive shirts. After wearing the same five shirts for 3 weeks, not to mention that 4 of them are the exact same shirt in different colors, I am feeling a little tired of my attire. I was feeling a desperate need for some change. Besides, I needed a little souvenir from Paris, right? I will justify it in any way possible. . . I needed some variety. You will notice the new green shirt in these pics. :) So, we finished up and grabbed some lunch on our way back to meet up with the group for more touring.

We made our way to Fontainebleau which was beautiful. It is most recognized by the horseshoe shaped staircase in the main courtyard. We were able to participate in an audio tour. There is a chapel inside where there was a live pianist and it added so much to the tour. My favorite part about Fontainebleau was the grand pond in the back of the building. Darrin suggested I inform my mother that plans have changed for the wedding. Reception at Fontainebleu? Or perhaps Musee de Orsay, Versailles, or Chateau de Vaux le Vicomte? There are some incredible sights here!


Our plan was to head to Vaux le Vicomte and enjoy a picnic and then enjoy the candlelight tour in the gardens. Well, we definitely enjoyed our picnic as we were able to step foot in a normal grocery store which felt like heaven. Allie and I were able to enjoy a baguette (French bread), a rotisserie chicken, and fresh fruit. It never tasted so good. We went up to a little pavilion that was surrounded with trees. I would say that it was the closest thing to home that I have experienced while being here in Europe. I was very happy to be in a setting like it. As soon as we were done eating our bounteous meal, we headed for Chateau de Vaux le Vicomte. Just our luck, it began to rain which is always an adventure, but fortunately it slowed down shortly after. We were able to step inside at that time and in the meantime the rain slowed down. It left a haze that was beautiful. I liked the feeling of the dark sky because it really enhanced the colors of the garden and created a dramatic atmosphere. The interior of Vaux was beautiful. The details, the chandeliers, and the furniture are all so fascinating to me.
They had music playing which really created a fun atmosphere. Unlike any other museum of this sort, were the figurines depicting the dress and appearance of the day. I actually liked the figurines. Some people felt like they were in disneyland, but I thought it was a great effect. We had the evening planned to stay until 11:30 or so. Unfortunately, because of the rain, we were unable to experience the candlelight tour; however, I enjoyed it still. What a fun day it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment