
7.19.09We've made it to London!!! I am really excited to be here. I felt excited to be in Paris, but it was a different feeling than what I feel here. We left our hotel around 10 or so and made our way to the train station where we took a 2 hour ride into London. I didn't know what to think as I stepped outside
of the train into a world that is rather similar to mine, but so different. Extremely comforting is the fact that people speak English here, not only do they speak English, but they do so with such a fun accent!! Next thing I noticed, that for some reason I had not been thinking about, is the fact that they drive on the opposite side of the street, in the opposite side of the car!!! I was so excited when I saw this detail of London. It is really actually confusing at times. Thank goodness for the labeled curbs that tell you which way to look when attempting to cross the street. I thought it was pretty fascinating when I first saw it but I am grateful for them because they are very helpful. Oh, it is just so different, but so fun!! I was relieved to see a car that you would see in America, on the streets of London, but even that would be an adjustment to actually drive.
of the train into a world that is rather similar to mine, but so different. Extremely comforting is the fact that people speak English here, not only do they speak English, but they do so with such a fun accent!! Next thing I noticed, that for some reason I had not been thinking about, is the fact that they drive on the opposite side of the street, in the opposite side of the car!!! I was so excited when I saw this detail of London. It is really actually confusing at times. Thank goodness for the labeled curbs that tell you which way to look when attempting to cross the street. I thought it was pretty fascinating when I first saw it but I am grateful for them because they are very helpful. Oh, it is just so different, but so fun!! I was relieved to see a car that you would see in America, on the streets of London, but even that would be an adjustment to actually drive. 
I feel a little more at home here. We are staying in a residential area called Manson Place.
(there were some fun cars parked outside) We are in a flat where there are 5 of us. Jeanette, Allie and I in one room, and Josie and Laura in the next. The 5 of us share a common room, bathroom, and kitchen. I feel like I am in a place that I could actually see myself living for a time as a student. And to have a kitchen will be heaven. We made our way to a grocery store this evening and it was wonderful to buy some real food that wasn't so expensive. Well at least it didn't seam to be. (side note: 1 pound= $1.60 or so) A cheese quesadilla with chips and salsa never tasted so delicious. Oh, and cereal with cold milk was just what I needed. I know I must sound like I have been starving, but I will tell you that I will not eat another granola bar for a long while once I come home. Thank goodness for our kitchen and grocery stores. Allie and I will whip up some good meals. :)
After we got settled, we all went out and about on a walking tour. Every time we make our way to a new city, our professors give us a tour to allow us to become acquainted with our surroundings. I love London!! I love the vibe here, I love the sites. We saw Westminster Abbey, and several other buildings that are absolutely picturesque. haha, it wasn't just Allie and I lagging behind to take pictures. I am excited to be here. I hope that I can continue to feel excited about our tours and the the sites that we will see. 
Wow! Erica, I just saw the link to your blog, and it is awesome! I just finished reading through all the entries, and I really enjoyed all the cool photos. I hope you have fun in London. I like that you talk about having a kitchen and actually being able to eat real food. Have you been to Tesco yet? Tesco is almost an iconic location for missionaries in the British Isles thanks to their discounted "Tesco Value" food options that come in generic red, white, and blue packaging. Funny stuff.
ReplyDeleteNext time you go to the grocery store you should look for McVities Digestive Biscuits. My favorite are the caramel Hobnobs; they are so good!
You've probably had a lot of really good European chocolate already, but you should definitely try real Cadbury chocolate. Kinder chocolate is really good too.
I just took a little culinary trip down memory lane. Sorry if that was boring.
Rob, I just saw your comment!! I'm sorry it has taken long to respond. We live right around the corner from a Tesco and it has saved us a couple times. I haven't run into McVities Digestive Biscuits. . . sounds kind of interesting, being Digestive and all, but I'll trust your word. I'd better get myself some caramel Hobnobs!
ReplyDeleteI have definitely enjoyed my cadbury chocolate and Kinder Buenos. Mmm. I'm thinking I had better bring some home with me. Thanks for reading my blogs!! I'm glad to hear that you have enjoyed them. More pics will be up in the next couple days. Be sure to check them out, especially for the beginning of our trip. We've got some good ones. :)