Sunday, July 12, 2009

7.11.09

Venice. I love it here. It is absolutely beautiful. I have realized that I am completely content to do nothing other than walk around and enjoy the views. It doesn’t matter where we are, there is always something beautiful to see.

This morning was quite fascinating; we were able to ride on a luxury boat to the Murano Glass factory and showroom. I cannot explain how cool it was to see all the beautiful art that has been done by hand. They did a special demonstration for us that was breathtaking. I never realized what an art it is to design and create a glass sculpture, perhaps it is because I never understood the process. Wow. I was blown away. This cute little man approached the kiln where there was a pool of melted glass. He pulled a little bit out with a special stick that he uses to begin his work. We watched as he, so naturally, created such a beautiful little vase. He blew into the end of the stick to create a bubble in the glass and then magically created it into a beautiful masterpiece. I just thought it was the coolest thing. And then, as if that wasn’t enough, within a matter of minutes, he created a horse. After pulling out more glass and playing with it for a moment, the picture became clear as to what he was making and we couldn’t believe it. It was beautiful!! I am grateful to have seen the process they go through to make these glass products because I appreciated the showroom that much more. I was amazed. Our tour guide explained that the art of glass is inherited from generations down. There is no official training, rather it is an acquired talent. We saw some pretty cool stuff!

On our way back from Murano, we endured a treacherous taxi ride to St. Mark’s Cathedral, well at least I thought it was bad. I was so sick by the time we were through. I couldn’t even look towards the rocking boats when we got off because that and the combination of polluted air, smoke, and a wild crowd was making me sick, I was feeling pretty nasty. I am grateful to have gotten over that one. Thank you to Susie who offered me water, Allie who allowed me to have more water, and Jeanette who gave me a granola bar so that I could take some Advil. I had a slight headache all day as I was getting over my migrane from last night. Ugh, not fun! However, St. Mark’s was beautiful. Inside are the most intense mosaics. The entire cathedral consisted of four domes, archways, and niches with mosaics like you have never seen. It makes me wonder how long it would have taken them to develop such a masterpiece. It is beautiful the way the light hits the gold tiles to give it such an effect. I thought it was beautiful!

Tonight, the best experience in Venice!!! Gondola!!! I wanted so badly to ride a Gondola. It was an experience that I did not want to miss out on. I am doing my best to do it all while I am here because this is a once in a lifetime experience. I do not want to look back with regrets. I felt so happy after we went for a ride. I had heard that it would be expensive, extremely expensive but between the five of us, we only had to pay 20 Euro a piece. Totally worth it!!! We went around 9:30 so the lights were magnificent. He sang to us and told us of the different areas that we passed. He had a beautiful voice and it made it feel so real. It felt like we were in Disneyland or something, but it was so much better!!!! It was real! He was quite the talented driver and entertainment. My favorite was when he took our picture and said, “Spaghetti!” instead of “cheese!”

No comments:

Post a Comment