Monday, July 6, 2009

.bucket list opportunity.

7.4.09

We made it to Vatican City today!! It was wonderful! So, to give you an idea of how our day started out. . .well, let's just say that it didn't. . . we woke up to a knock on our door from Jeanette, telling us that they were on the shuttle waiting for us. . . Aaaaah! We didn't wake up!! I don't think i have ever been out the door so fast. I changed my clothes, washed face, grabbed makeup and left. I got ready on the shuttle. It was frustrating. One alarm for both allie and I, not a good idea! So, I think they'll be knocking on the door early now to make sure that we are up. BAD!! So, after that panic, we made our way to the Vatican.

We had a wonderful tour guide who led us through several cathedrals through Rome yesterday, and St. Peter's Cathedral today. I can't exactly explain what an amazing experience it was, but i'll try. WOW! To see the Sistine Chapel to experiece Michealangelo's work in person so was so cool! It is amazing to see the message behind the art and the symbolism that it represented. I thought that to see the Sistine Chapel woul be the ultimate experience while being here but I was definitely mistaken. Don't get me wrong, but the St. Peter's Cathedral was incredible!!!! I have never seen anything like it!!!!

It was enormous. It housed Michealangelo's Pieta. It was behind glass because it is so precious. I loved seeing it. It is another piece that I learned about in art history. There is a main dome of the cathedral that we were able to climb to the top of toview Roma. Absolutely amazing! Darrin said that it was on his bucket list. The dome has an inner dome and an outer dome spaced enough that a staircase runs in between them. These are the stairs that we climbed. 320 steps or so I heard. Where it is a dome, however, near the top it is slanted as the walls begin to go inward so we had to duck for a time.

Kind of a cool experience. The view, so cool! As we have visited so many cathedrals, it makes me wish i knew more about the catholic church. I can definitely appreciate the beauty of it's cathedrals, the architecture sculptures mosaics (tile art) and so much more, it is breathtaking!


In our desire to investigate the Catholic church, we atteded mass tonight. .. IN THE PANTHEON!! Not many can say they have celebrated mass in the Pantheon. . . Unfortunately, I didn't learn much because I couldn't understand the language one bit but it was definitely interesting to see how it was performed. Awesome experience! Even though I couldn't understad a word that was said other than propheta, I am so very grateful to be a member of our church. It just makes sense. I have a lot of respect for the catholic church though. It is amazing here! I definitely enjoyed the Vatican today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment