Wednesday, July 15, 2009

.contrast.




7.15.09

Group day. We made our way to the Saint Chapelle Cathedral today. It was a completely different style than any of the other cathedrals we have seen so far. A common feature here in Paris are the gargoyles that jut out from the top of the pillars which are really quite creepy. The Cathedral has gothic features on the inside and out: pointed arched windows, rather extreme features on the exterior. On the interior, there were groin vaults which were very different than any I have seen. They were painted blue with golden stars, but the walls. . .wow. I have never seen so many stained glass windows in one room before. It was interesting to learn the process of stained glass. It would take such a long time to create each scene.

We then made our way to the Pompidou Center which was so much fun to see in person. We have seen in so many times in pictures and to actually see it was fun. It was really quite refreshing to see something modern in a sea of historical buildings. Modern art, not always my thing, but there were definitely some pieces that stood out to me. I enjoyed viewing the exterior more than anything. There was an awesome red wall that Allie and I had fun with. Let’s just say that we created our own modern art. It made for a good time.

Side note: Allie and I tend to start out walking with the group but always tend to lag behind. We get a little distracted as we enjoy taking pictures so much. Coincidentally, we have adopted the name of Paparazzi. Darrin likes to laugh at us. He said that he is happy to see us having fun.

Last stop today, The Louvre. I loved it! It is huge! To see I.M. Pei’s Pyramid was so cool. I really like the contrast that it provides up against the Louvre. After enjoying picture time outside we made our way into the museum. I enjoyed viewing the furniture the most. Historical chairs, tables, consoles, and a bed with a high raised tester. They were all so beautiful in the embellished rooms. I have enjoyed seeing such beautiful traditional rooms. Window treatments are beautiful!

We are exhausted!! We are taking the night off tonight. I need time to get caught up and get some decent sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment