Saturday, July 25, 2009

.lion king.


7.25.09

What a day! Slept in til 9, went with Jeanette to get Phantom tickets for her and her parents, came back and went out with Courtney and Allie. This was where the fun began!! We made our way to an area near Trafalgar Square, near the Lyceum Theater. We were able to eat at a restaurant that was on the corner, just next to the theater. It was my original intent to order fish and chips, as we have heard so much about the famous fish and chips in London (every restaurant advertises them as well). I thought that I'd go ahead and order them, even though I am not the biggest fish fan. Well, I backed down and ordered a club sandwich instead, which was very delicious, and I still tasted the fish and chips! I'll have to say, they were yummy. I'm glad that I ordered something that I knew I would like, but it was fun to taste the famous fish and chips. It's always a good time to go to lunch with the girls.

We made perfect timing for the show. We wrapped up lunch just 10 minutes before the show started but that was when they recommended we be there. I was excitedly anticipating our show. I have heard so many people just rave about Lion King. I am going to add to the rave. . . HOLY COW!!!! Lion King was incredible, absolutely amazing. It literally brought tears to my eyes, multiple times. There were so many things about it that got to me. To start off, the set, and the costumes, oh, the costumes were so cool!!! The very first scene, the Circle of Life scene, made all three of us tear up. I can't explain why, well yes I can, the costumes were so cool!! The stage was filled with giraffes (made up of a men on stilts, both hands and legs), a giant elephant, made up of 6 people, lions birds, Rafiki, Zazu. . . .it got me alright. It was breathtaking! Even in the middle of the play, there was a song that touched me so much. I began to recognize a lot of symbolism, in a religious way, and yet again, I cried. I laughed at myself for crying, but it was so cool! I will encourage anyone who has the opportunity to see Lion King, to do it because it is so worth it!!! Side note: Lion is coming to Salt Lake next summer. . look into it. I enjoy Broadway Musicals way too much. . . I'm okay with it!

Afterwords, we ran into a missionary couple as they were coming out of Lion King. It was a fun to see them! We took a moment to talk with them and it was wonderful to do so. We will probably see them at church tomorrow. They confirmed our plans to attend church tomorrow morning. I can't wait. It has been too long. 3 weeks. I'm excited to go again.

We then walked around an enjoyed the shops around and then made our way to Covent Garden. It is really just a large tourist shopping haven. There are magicians and musicians entertaining the crowds. The most impressive performer was a man playing a Sheng. Sheng is the oldest wind instrument in the world. Dating 3000 years. The church organ and the accordion are based on it. I loved it!! This man was sucking and blowing into this instrument which allowed him to play continuously. The sound was incredible.

What a great day. We had so much fun together today. Allie and Courtney are adorable girls. Courtney is also engaged, to be married on September 5. We were able to get in some fun wedding talk: colors, bridesmaids dresses, everything. We all had so much fun together.

No comments:

Post a Comment