Sunday, July 19, 2009
7.16.09

Another opportunity to see an ultimate must see for our studies. It is a house that was built in the 1920’s by Le Corbusier. For that time, this house was extremely modern and out of place; however, this house still stands today as “the ideal layout and structure.” It follows Corbusier’s five points of architecture. I really like it and thought that it did have some very unique features. It was cool to see it because I always thought that the interior would be up to date and modern just like the architecture. It was very period appropriate and I can now see how it was a part of the 1920’s. It is impressive to me that the exterior design is still admired. It is truly timeless. There were a few pieces of furniture inside that Corbusier designed as well.
There is a restaurant that Darrin has been telling us about from the moment we stepped foot into Paris. It is called Kong. It is a restaurant that was designed by Philippe Stark. We went as a group today and I’m really glad that we went. It was expensive but we took the opportunity to share meals. I didn’t know what to expect, and in fact, it was not what I had expected, but I loved it. It is fun to be able to see these places. We learn of these designers and architects and see their work in a text book, but it has been through these trips that I have been able to truly experience design, first hand. The food wasn’t anything too special, but it was worth going just to see the design!
This afternoon we went to the Musee de Orsay. I would have to say that this was among my favorite art museums that we have visited. It housed works by Renoir, Degas, Monet, and Seurat. I love impressionism. I knew that I did before I even saw original works, but seeing it in person made me even more excited about it!! My favorite painter would have to be Renoir. I don’t know what it is about his works that I love so much but it has such wonderful colors and the images that he
portrays just display such a classy and entertaining life. Another favorite was Degas. One can recognize his work by the ballerina’s that he oftentimes would paint. He had a sculpture that was absolutely beautiful that everyone raved over. It was a beautiful site to see.
We made our way down the way to the Arch de Triumph. It was really cool on top. It was a favorite view of Paris so far. The Eiffel Tower was awesome to see from the top of the Arch. We climbed a few hundred more stairs to get to the top to see the view. And, once again, was worth every step. It was cool to see because from the Arch, the roads fan out. There are probably 8 roads that go in the d
irection of the arch and there is a giant round about around it. We had to take an underground tunnel to get the arch. It was really kind of fun to see the roads in that view. Paris is beautiful from all of these views.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment