Thursday, July 30, 2009

.Burghley House.

7.29.09
I have enjoyed the unique visits and tours that have been set up for us on this trip. To see interiors and architecture from hundreds of years back has been very inspiring. I enjoy seeing the styles of furniture and textiles that have come around again in various ways.

We visited Burghley House today. Lets just say, it wasn’t exactly a house. . . more like a Castle!! It was incredible. From the moment we drove up, we were amazed. To start off, they own a flock of deer and they were right up near the entrance. They were not afraid of us by any means. If we weren’t a flock ourselves, they might have actually been willing to stick around but everyone as everyone walked toward them, they were on their way. Fortunately, Allie and I were able to get within a few feet before our own flock followed behind. We hoped to be able to come back out before we left but by that time, the deer were long gone. It was really cool to get as close as we did though. They were beautiful.
The Burghley House had a different style than all of the other places we have visited. It wasn’t overwhelmingly embellished with gold, the way that some have been. Rather, it had the most beautiful Elizabethan features that I will ever see. I loved it. Unfortunately, we weren’t allowed to take pictures inside which was really a bummer this time because it has such a different look and feel than anything we have seen.
My favorite was the billiards room that had dark wood walls with ornamentation that was carved. It had several paintings that had rich colors. We walked through bedrooms and drawing rooms as well as social rooms. The beds were all rather large with beautifully embroidered testers and bedding. We went into a dining room that was actually used in Pride and Prejudice when Elizabeth is dining next to Darcy with Lady Catherine Deburgh. We also were in the room where Elizabeth plays the piano. I recognized that room the most. It was kind of cool to see it! This palace was beautiful. I loved the feel of it inside. I so wish I could have taken pictures.

The furniture and structural aspects of the design were fabulous. In various spaces were Tudor features. In one room, our guide explained that wedding receptions are still held there today. It had a vaulted roof but there were beautiful dark wooden beams or trusses that held the structure. I loved it. The most unique feature that I noticed were thick spiraled pillars, which were actually continued onto the backs of the chairs in the dining room.

Our tour guide was so much fun. She was passionate about her job and she knew what we would relate to most. After we finished up our tour, we made way to the cafĂ© where Darrin recommended that we order a scone with clotted cream and jam. It was yummy. Their scones here are really just biscuits and their biscuits are cookies. The scone that I got had raisins in it and it was freshly baked which made it so much better. Clotted cream is really just thick fluffy butter. I actually enjoyed it. Certainly didn’t need it, but it was worth the experience, and besides, I went for a run tonight!!! It was so nice! I needed to get out and feel good about it! We ran to Hyde Park and to the palace where Princess Diana lived. As we did so, Julia asked where Chandler and I first met, and it all began from start to finish, the reader’s digest version of course. It made our run go by much faster. It was fun to tell her about our story. She was really excited about it. It makes me excited for the wedding. Two weeks to go!!! I can’t believe it is here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment