Sunday, August 2, 2009

.blessings.

8.2.09

I had the opportunity once again to go to church here in the Hyde Park ward. I have enjoyed coming to this ward while we have been here. Several people commented last week that this ward has several visitors each week and many members coming and going. Sister Bell, a dear friend of ours, has been a member of this ward for 27 years. She said that this ward is exhausting because of all of the activity. Today was a good illustration of their comments last week. I'd say that nearly one/fourth of the congregation were visitors. . . from Utah.

It had fast and testimony meeting today. I loved to hear the testimonies of these people. They come from all over London and on the outskirts of town. They have such varied backgrounds, yet the church brings them together. I was impressed with the testimonies that were born. It is interesting, as I mentioned last week, the trials that they face here. I think a big part of it comes from the fact that they live in the city. With that comes many challenges. In hearing their struggles and challenges, the strength that they have is remarkable. There is a man who's wife is in the states while they are working to get him a visa. They had their first anniversary yesterday, yet they were apart. This has gone on for 9 months. Wow. This same man told us to keep his family in their prayers. He bore his testimony of prayer and asked that we pray for his family as his 15 year old niece ran away a few days ago and is now lost in London.

Another woman from Korea is here with such faith. She has been given the opportunity to be here and in tears, expressed that she was unable to make it back to witness her son's wedding. She testified that she knew that through faith and trust in the Lord, that things would work out. I believe that she was unable to afford going back for her son's wedding.

All of these stories, these challenges that these people are facing, are very different than the challenges that we face at home. However different our challenges may be, I know that the Lord is aware of our needs and that we need to have the same faith and trust in the Him. I was very emotional today in sacrament as I heard the testimonies and recognized the opportunity that I have to enter the temple in a week and two days and then married two days later. My heart was consumed in gratitude as I realize the blessings that have been given me. I am grateful for the opportunity to be here in Europe. I am grateful for my parents who have been so loving and supportive of my choices. I am grateful for a loving fiance to whom I will marry in the Salt Lake Temple. I am grateful to have had the opportunity of growing up so close, to now 5 temples. I am grateful to have had a chapel within blocks of my home. Things are different here and it has provided a challenge to be able to make it to church for 3 weeks. How I longed to come to church when we got here. I am grateful for the gospel and the opportunities that provides. I am grateful that I was able to attend church today, to feel of the spirit and the unity within the church. It is a wonderful thing.

I have learned that we live in such a small world. While sitting in sacrament meeting, there was a family who walked in late. As I saw them, I had to take a double take. It was Tyler Landgren, a boy that I have gone to school with since seventh grade who was a pretty good friend of Chandler's. His family came to pick him up from his mission here. He served in the Birmingham mission. I just never imagined running into someone I know at church in LONDON. He looks great. He will arrive home on Wednesday. I made it a point to tell him about the wedding next thursday. His parents, whom I've met several times, were fun to see and talk to. It is fun to see all my friends and acquaintences from high school coming home from missions. I am grateful for their willingness to serve. The church is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment