
Last day in London!! Last day?! Where has the time gone?? I can’t believe that we have just finished up our last day here. We had a wonderful, memorable day. I am grateful that we were able to get out and enjoy our time.

We met up with the group and made our way to Buckingham Palace!! I was not aware that the palace is only open for one month out of the whole year. We lucked out to be able to be here. I loved the interior. We were unable to take pictures so I purchased a souvenir book that has a few pictures in it. It was like nothing else that we have seen so far. I loved to think that it is a functioning palace where events are held regularly, a place where the Royal family resides. We saw the Green Drawing Room (favorite), the Music Room, the Thrown Room (so cool!), and the White Drawing Room. We saw outfits that have been worn by Queens in their day. We saw brooches and jewelry that were once worn. It was remarkable and so much fun to see. The pictures of the Queen showed her to be such a darling woman. She seems to be very sweet. Darrin said that the past two times that he has come, he has actually seen her. She once waved to him as she slowly passed by in a car. Unfortunately, she must not have been home today. It would have been fun to see her

I loved the palace. I liked that it was a modern place. It was extravagant, but very tasteful and real. I thought it was a perfect place to visit on our last day here. We went into the souvenir shop as they so conveniently feed everyone in that direction on the way out. I saw everything there and admired a few things but never actually considered purchasing anything. There was a jewelry collection that was on display that Allie and I passed by but didn’t look at too closely until Darrin called my name saying, “Erica?? Wedding jewelry?!?” I jumped right on that, to admire anyway. Well, I was in trouble from the moment I laid eyes the most beautiful pair of studded pearl earrings that are surrounded by Swarovsky crystals!! Oh, I loved them! They would go perfectly with my wedding gown. . . . I couldn’t resist!! I bought them!! One problem. . . they are clip-ons. It took me 45 minutes to decide if I should get them or not because I was not sure if I’d be able to replace it with a normal earring back. But, I decided to take a risk and I am so glad that I did!!! I called my dear jeweler friend when I got home and told her about them. Without hesitation, she said that it shouldn’t be a problem and to just bring them in! These earrings, along with the entire collection were inspired by jewelry worn by the Queen. I want these earrings to be a keepsake of mine that can be passed on to my children and future grandchildren. I want them to know that I not only wore them on my wedding day, but that I got them from Buckingham Palace in London. I think I made a wise purchase today. I think that they will be a lovely addition to my wedding attire. Yay!
We were hoping to catch the Changing of the Guard, but it wasn’t happening today. We asked directions as to where we could get some good pictures of guards because we are so deeply fascinated with their uniforms. A policeman gave us directions and while we were walking to our destination, we looked in the distance to see what looked like the Changing of the Guard. We made our way over, only to find that a film was being produced. They were filming the marching band for a movie of some sort. We watched for nearly 30 minutes because we were determined to get good pictures. I am so grateful that we saw this because we were bummed to have missed the ceremony at the palace.

We got awesome pictures! I knew that when we would be seeing these guards that I wanted to take a picture that appeared as if I was kissing the guard on the cheek. I was hoping to get one with both Allie and I but it didn’t work out as it took too much coordination between us and the photographer and the waiting crowd for their turn. So, I decided to have Allie just do one for me. I positioned myself nearly two feet in front of him and Al moved to make it look like I am kissing him. She took a couple and didn’t like one of them that I saw. She suggested that I get a little closer so that the proportions wouldn’t be so dramatic. I got within a foot in front of him, mind you, I had told him what we were trying to accomplish. The entire time, he stood there as if nothing was happening. It was really quite funny, but as I was attempting to go a little closer, he said to me in his English accent, “You might as well just kiss me, It’ll be a lot easier.” I couldn’t believe what I had just heard. I responded, “Really?!?.” Haha I was too excited. Believe it or not, I kissed the guard on his chin strap! I’ll tell you somethin, that doesn’t happen everyday! (don’t forget to capture the look on his face. He is loving it!)


One more thing that we wanted to do before leaving London, was to get pictures in the public telephone booths. We got 'em. I don't know what it is that is so great about these booths, but they are everywhere and they are truly a trademark of London. I love them. Everytime I see them, it is a reminder of where I am. Fun times.
As a little treat to ourselves to celebrate our last day here in London, Allie and I went out to dinner to a nearby place called the Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Very yummy, and very fun to enjoy that time with my dear friend, Allie Bytheway.
I can’t believe that this trip has come to an end. We are meeting at the Tube at 5 in the morning. I AM COMING HOME!!! I am coming home to my family, to my future-in-laws, to the Love of my life whom I am marrying in ONE WEEK!!! One week and one day to be exact.

I never imagined how I would be feeling at this point in time. I can’t wait! I am grateful for this opportunity to be here, to experience this journey of inspiration. I know that it will impact my future in Interior Design. Nothing can replace this experience. Thank you to everyone for all of your love and support!!! It means the world to me.
I love the pictures!
ReplyDelete